2.23.2011

Malmö way back when...

I'm currently learning the art of conceptual cartography in school. Due to this I've found a growing interest to examine maps of various type.

I remember when I was a young boy, I could spend hours browsing through my World Atlas. But I never became interested in geography, not at all. The interesting parts, for me, as I remember it, were the maps of density in population, the maps of temperature and the maps of valuables, such as metals, gems and oil. The ones that didn't describe the physical conditions that are obvious, but the ones where the more hidden and dynamic aspects are described.

For my current semester I'm studying a site in central town of Malmö, Sweden. While looking for information about the historical growth of Malmö, I found a great collection of historic maps over the city on the City Planning Offices website.

These maps are dating:
1871
1874
1894


No comments:

Post a Comment