1.27.2011

Final result | Fall semester assignment | The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts School of Architecture year 4

During the last five months I've been working on a project (or should i say a process).
The work hasn't evolved linearly, not at all. It has taken a lot of turns during this period, which I think makes it even more interesting and challenging.
In the beginning I was aiming for the creation of a bridge, which after a couple of turns landed on creating a "lid" or a new layer, over the wast terrain of train tracks in front of the central station in Copenhagen. Parallel with this concept of site, I had a concept of structure and the creation of space. Especially the boundaries in between the two. Questions like:
-Where does the structure end and where does the room begin?
-What is inside and what is outside?
has been important for me.
I have created two types of structure that coexists in a symbiosis and play with these questions. The first system is a folded concrete slab, splitting the building in two, with an extention of the walkway in the middle, creating a framed public view. The concrete is wrapped in the second system: a louvre-system of steel beams. The steel structure acts as both roof, walls, floors and pillars. The pillars are raising the building from the tracks and letting it land subtly onto the platforms below, creating a nice Moiré effect when viewed from far.
I like the paradox of that the roof literary raises the floor!

In the process I've been jumping back and forth between drawing (by hand and in Adobe Illustrator) and making models, both physical and in 3D (Autodesk Maya and Rhino). I have learned the importance of combining these two techniques and I've also realized that the boundary between them is close to non-existing. Quoting Peter Cook, in his book Drawing The motive force of architecture: "This once again suggests that there is no real gap between drawing and modeling. Standing within the piece, there was no ambiguity to be felt, since wherever you stood and tuned, from every direction there was the experience of a 'drawing' - through the clarity and definition of the lines and then, on turning, another, related drawing" referring to Lebbeus Woods, System Wien installation view, MAK Gallery, Vienna 2005.
And no, I haven't got hybrid. I'm not comparing myself with this extremely talented experimentalist. I'm just trying to apply theories of people I admire to my own work, to be able to grow in my role as an architect.

No comments:

Post a Comment